People depend on police officers to protect their lives and property. This is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly or entered into without due consideration. Police work requires that you have honesty, integrity, moral character, sound judgment, a strong sense of responsibility and considerable dedication to duty. It can require that you put your life in danger to save the life of someone else.
But, if you are up to the challenge, a career law in enforcement can be rewarding, exciting and secure. Graduation from our Academy, and passing the POST exam, fulfills the most important requirements to be hired as a Police Officer in Missouri and can transfer to other states. This also opens the doors to many other exciting career opportunities including work as a criminal investigator, Director of Corporate Security, executive protection, fraud investigator and Federal Agent!
Not to mention the personal satisfaction from knowing that your work keeps other people safe and helps ensure the future of our society. Become one of the brave few on the thin blue line…
Our mission at the Central Missouri Police Academy has these objectives:
- Make our graduates more desirable and competitive in the job market.
- Provide experiential learning; i.e. learning by doing in a real world environment.
- Reduce the time needed for our students to get their degree.
- Maintain competitive cost for our course.
When you graduate from the Central Missouri Police Academy you can be confident that you have received some of the best entry level Law Enforcement training available. Our Instructors are current and former Federal Agents, Prosecuting Attorneys, Police Detectives, Sergeants and Officers and bring tens of thousands of hours of experience with them. All are POST Certified in their specialties and our curriculum exceeds the requirements of the Missouri POST Commission. We keep our standards high to ensure that our graduates present themselves well to recruiters and perform well on the job. Our facilities provide realistic training environments and our academy is part of the University of Central Missouri with all of its campus facilities available to students.
Graduation from our police academy provides you with 15 hours of college credit (five normal classes worth) toward a Criminal Justice undergraduate degree with UCM. You can earn these in just over three months with our condensed course! Depending on your normal class load; this means you could reduce the time needed to get your degree by a full semester!
We understand that most people come to us wanting education that leads to a fulfilling career and, often, can’t wait four years to get their career started. We also know the clear advantage that a college degree provides to one’s career potential. Our academy meets both needs. After graduating you could go to work as a Law Enforcement Officer immediately and complete your degree while working.
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions about the Academy, its costs and general requirements.
If you are ready to take the next step toward your career in Law Enforcement, apply now!
Apply for the Dama Cooper Police Academy Scholarship!
A limited number of scholarships ranging from $500 to $1000
are available for each Academy class session,
made possible by the generous endowment from the Dama and Glenda Sue Cooper Trust.
The CMPA is proud to announce that 95% of the 2014 Academy graduates actively seeking employment have been commissioned (hired) in law enforcement;
the best year in the 35 year history of the Academy.
Additional Courses & Offerings:
The Institute for Public Safety (IPS) and the Central Missouri Police Academy (CMPA), divisions of the Missouri Safety Center at the University of Central Missouri, offers several options for continuing education classes for law enforcement officers.
- The FATS (Firearms Training Simulator) at the IPS/CMPA is available for law enforcement departments to use for their in-service firearms training. The IPS/CMPA will provide a classroom, FATS machine, and operator to facilitate during their in service training program. If interested, call to reserve a date/time for training: (660) 543-4090.
- The IPS/CMPA has partnered with Midwest Police Consultants, LLC, making available a large variety of POST approved courses. Classes are offered periodically, or may be scheduled on request. Midwest Police Consultants employ a large staff of instructors that are highly experienced in their fields, as well as in the classroom. They provide a wealth of knowledge and the ability to reach their students. In addition, the staff has the ability to develop new courses as needed, or tailor courses to specific needs. Course offerings range from basic and refresher, to high level areas of expertise and specialization. Check future emails for updates and specific offerings.
- CEU Hours via basic academy classes available to in-service officers. The IPS/CMPA offers in-service officers the opportunity to attend basic academy classes to get their POST CEU training. This is a great opportunity to pick up legal and interpersonal hours when the Academy conducts such courses as Constitutional Law, Missouri Statutes, Ethics, etc. The Academy conducts three basic academy sessions per year, and officers are welcome to sit in on classes as needed and as spaces are available. Space is limited, so be sure to reserve a spot early. The cost for these classes is $9.00 per hour.
- 40-hour Dispatch Certification Training is offered at the IPS/CMPA. The instructor has extensive experience in supervising a metro area police communications unit, revising and building in-house training programs, and instructing in certified dispatch training. This course is unique in the area, as it includes practical exercises which will provide students with the most realistic training possible.
- The CMPA has space available for various uses. State and federal agencies, local departments, private entities and training contractors, that need a place to gather for regional meetings or in-service training, may rent a classroom or the gym. The CMPA is not set up for overnight events, but can host single day events, or multi-day events in which attendees would stay overnight at hotel accommodations they have arranged if traveling far from home. The rate is $125 per day; parking is included and classroom space seats up to 25 people. If you are interested, please contact the CMPA at: (800) 801-3588 or (660) 543-4090 to reserve your space as early as possible. Reservations will be made on a first come, first served basis.
4,473 total views, 2 views today